Sunday, July 3, 2011

All my life I’ve been in love with horses. I begged and begged as a child, but to no avail. I was actually in my 50’s before I got my first horse. A series of synchronistic events as well as a dear friend got me to volunteer as a side walker for a therapeutic horseback riding center. I was in heaven. I couldn’t imagine anything better than being at the barn. Because I’ve worked for the last 25 years with people with disabilities it was a perfect match for me. I didn’t want to be anywhere else, but sadly, bills have to be paid so I continued to work at my “real” job. A few years later my friend and I started our own center and we’ve been so blessed to be successful. However, it’s a not for profit center and nobody gets paid right now, so I continue to work for somebody else and spend my weekends at the barn. When I got my coaching certification I had the brilliant idea to incorporate the horses into my coaching practice. I had no idea how to do this, but diligently researched and studied. I found a couple of well respected teachers who offered programs, then the gremlin reared it’s ugly head. “You’re too old” it said. “You can’t afford it, how stupid to even consider such a thing.” Hummm. “ You’re not good enough” he told me. “You’ll never make it work. You’ll look like a fool. No one will be interested in your brilliant idea.” After a short struggle I finally managed to shut him up and enrolled in one of the courses. It starts this week and I’m so thrilled and excited. I know that I will have all the support I need to be successful and finally realize one of my biggest dreams. I mention this because I want you to understand that you’re never too old to do what you want to do. That gremlin in your head is a trickster who definitely doesn’t have your best interest at heart. It’s OK to be afraid. The point is to push through the fear and do it anyway. It’s OK to be old. Old is just a number and nothing more. It’s OK to ask for help when you can’t figure it out for yourself. People love to help. Gets the serotonin flowing. So what is it you’ve always wanted to do and what’s your excuse for not doing it? Are you doing to make that dream come true or spend whatever time you have left full of regrets? Take it from me….it’s so much more fun to just go for it. Besides, life’s about the adventure of the journey, not your destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment